Sunday, October 3, 2010

The flower fadeth

I have so many thoughts swarming in my head. Thoughts of sorrow, pain, joy, confusion, uncertainty, gratefulness, compassion, comfort...the list goes on. As Christians how to we attempt to explain events like the one that passes this last week to the world around us? How can we display that we rejoice that Luke is in heaven yet mourn and weep for our loss. A teacher at ECS use to say death is the only certainty in life. It is the only thing we can be sure will happen and that it so unnatural to us because we are meant for eternity. How true that is! Not one of us is guaranteed tomorrow or even the next hour! Which challenges me how would I live each day if I knew it was my last day? what would happen if I veiwed everyday that I woke up like it was my last day. If I tried to grasp every moment I could. If I stopped to help the broken or just lagged a second to hold the door a little longer. If I didn't look for a fight but tried my hardest to keep the peace. What would happen if I actually took my day to heart..but not just for one day but for every day of each year I am granted on this earth.


Yesterday I went hiking with the freshman RUF girls. It was absolutely gorgeous. On the way up we were discussing the tragic events of last years accident with Meredith. A girl in our car had actually been the one who witnessed and reported the accident. We then went to discuss with two sophomore girls how hard and weird it must have been to not be in Memphis when an event like that occurred. I find it ironic that we were discussing this being completely oblivious to the events that happened just the night before. We returned down the mountain and my phone was exploding with text messages about the event. I remember just starring at my phone not believing it to be true. Then there was the confusing rumors and deciphering through the texts to find the true story. It still doesn't feel real as if it is all a dream. I can not begin to imagine how the pruetts must feel and many others who have lost a child, a brother, a friend. I keep them all in my prayers. I can't help but wonder if God is trying to tell us something and if He is what is it. For two events to happen in a year like this to the same grade seems so strange to me. My heart grieves for the grade of 2013. They have been hit with the hard struggles of life. Yet, it is such an encouragement to see how the ECS community comes together. How within 24 hours of the event there is already a prayer and worship service for the tragic event. I pray that this can be a witness to the surrounding memphis communities! May we all keep the families in our prayers! I know God has a plan in all of this and His glory will be ultimately exalted. You will be missed Luke Pruett but we know that you are dancing on the streets of heaven and we will one day see you again. May we all stand strong in the promises God has given us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment